Saturday 7 February 2015

Zomruray?

      As the title, sort of, eludes to I have been painting zombies for my Open Combat game. In my vain attempt to keep to my resolution of painting more than I buy (I am failing miserably at the moment) the half painted unit of zombies that have been sitting on my desk since the start of January had to be finished, as they were a big part of why I am so very behind my target. The reason they had been on my desk for so long was because I had forgotten how terrible the GW zombie kit really is, I went into this part of the project full of nostalgia about this kit and it had blinded me to the stupidly sized hands and terrible shoulder joins that a few years on really annoy me.

      But, the end result isn't too bad in my opinion. These guys, and the next 10 I have to do, are going to be pure horde material. Their stats will be so bad that the human party really shouldn't struggle to take them on one at a time, but I want their strength to be in bogging their opponents down until the skeletons can get in.

28mm undead otherworld miniatures gw games workshop zombie

     The figure at the front is still a bit of a mystery to me. It is a Otherworld miniatures figure, that has been given a left over skeleton sword to give him a chance in combat. I will give him half decent stats as he looks like he deserves it, but I still don't really know what, or who he is, on context to why he is part of this horde, other than the fact he is obviously undead. . .

otherworld miniatures skeleton leader 28mm undead

     Lastly, for this post, I have completed my first batch of gravestones to add more scenery to the board when I put the game on properly. I have just over this amount of grave stones left to go, so I think it should bulk up quite nicely. I have mounted them on plasti-card bases in groups to stop keep the scenery a bit tidy, I have seen games put on with every stone on it's own base and it just gets a bit unwieldy to play on.

28mm gothic horror grave yard terrain scenery graveyard gravestone

      I have also got a few bits saved up for their own, out of sequence post in a couple of weeks time, plus an exciting new project that will get it's own run of posts fairly soon. So I have a lot to keep me going.

Thanks for reading.

8 comments:

  1. Looking good. I agree with what you've said about basing the gravestones, and about the zombies - though I've used the same models for Blood Bowl and never noticed their shortfalls until you mentioned it. Still, they get the job done :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy.I think I was just spoilt by all the really nice zombies during the actual zomtober. Really don't know why it annoyed me so much but it really did!

      Delete
  2. Nice paintjob on them. Its a shame the big heads and hands have always put me off picking up this kit for use in many of my own games. The Otherworld minature is great I'm sure he will make a dramatic entrance in your games: D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. The figures are good enough, but I think I might go to mantic for my horde of plastic fantasy zombies if I am in the market again.

      Delete
  3. Good looking paintjob on these Mike.
    I was thinking about picking these up for the sake of completeness and kitbashing, I'm not GW's biggest fan and there are plenty of other plastics on the market, so still in two minds about it. The gravestones are very nice too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob. I think your much better off going for the Mantic fantasy zombies box. The GW ones are just so far out of proportion, even by heroic 28mm scale standards, that they are probably not worth kit bashing with.
      I'm really pleased with the gravestones though.

      Delete
  4. Love the zombies, but I especially like the gravestones set up. The multi-basing is awesome!!! I must pick up some at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Spiderweb. I've used the gravestones for a couple of games now and they really have worked. Very pleased with, plus I have about the same again left over to build more with.

    ReplyDelete