Saturday 2 December 2017

Another misguided new project . . .

   With the planned models for my Saxon project finished and packed away waiting for their first proper game (some have been used in Saga already bulked up with my old plastic models to make sure I played with a fully painted army), I wanted to paint some models that are not from the Dark Ages for a bit before I start to paint up the odd new batch from that era. 
   So the last few months have seen me move jobs, again (twice in a single year), and my wife has implemented her '12 in 12 challenge' to go to 12 new countries in 12 months. So between the two my hobby time has changed quite a lot, but I now have monthly doses of new things to inspire me; two of the trips have been to Viking ship museums which explains the sudden invasion of Vikings to this blog, but there are other things simmering in the background, namely a possible Moorish army and a Hungarian WW2 army.

   In September we traveled to Budapest (I had only found this out a week or so before hand) and it was a city that I didn't know what to expect from, but boy did it get some ideas going. The resistance museum, ruins pubs and the history of the city I read in the build up and while there, all got me to a point that they felt like an interesting project for a Bolt Action army. In gaming terms they aren't the cheese fest that some of the smaller nations are, looking at you Finland, nor are they irrelevant like some of the others, they played a big part in their theatre, plus it means that we could play a game where the Axis weren't just German again (we don't have a single Japanese or Italian player in our gaming group).


    The models are from Outpost Wargames and, while they are not the best sculpts in the world, they are reasonably priced, can be bought in whatever number you need (stopping you having to buy multiple boxes to get enough MMG's as Warlord loves to do) and the customer service is great. The figures are a touch on the smaller size, so I don't plan to mix them with any other ranges but as a unit, I think they look the part. One squad down, I had better get on with the rest before I get distracted again.

Thanks for reading

9 comments:

  1. Nice to see a rather under-represented force present so well. It is great to be inspired by such history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dean. Looking forward to seeing them in action.

      Delete
  2. Looks great dude. Look forward to seeing the rest of the force take shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. It's the vehicles that are scaring me.

      Delete
  3. Nice work on the squad Mike. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mike,

    Your painting and basing has brought the sculpts up to a very good standard.

    I am going through the list notifying those who have shown an interest in my book, to send an email to kerstinsmith1234@gmail.com if they still want to order. If you have already done this, then just ignore me.

    Cheers,

    Pat.

    ReplyDelete