Another year over, what have I done this time? Mostly not quite as much as I thought I was going to, gaming was definitely down on previous years, but I think the quality of gaming was mostly higher, I don't know if this was because I was more grateful to be out or more time in advance was put into thinking about a game instead of grabbing some boxes on the day of a game.
I painted about the same amount of figures as last year but bought a lot lot less, I've played less games than any other year since I started collecting data (half of my two lowest years to date) and read less books than recent years. All sounds doom and gloom doesn't it, but I think the game photos from this will show that it wasn't.
Here are the aims I set myself at the end of 2021;
- I have painted a lot of cavalry and while I've not used as much of it in games as I had planed, my non-WW2 gaming has included a lot more mounted troops than I ever have in the past.
- Too many armies played too few times. I played with 26 different forces/collections this year (albeit that some armies included multiple collections in) but only 7 of those collections saw the table more than once. It would be nice for the same collections to see the table a few times in a row next year.
- The surprise of Bolt Action and Lord of the Rings being in my top 3 most played rulesets - although Lion Rampant was my most played single ruleset. I knew we'd play some bolt action but I was surprised by how we played and LotR was a complete surprise.
- Also surprised by how few board games I played this year.
- I'm looking to limit the armies and time periods I will be playing next year to focus on gaming the period right if I can. Hopefully this will also allow me to finish armies and projects off properly as there will be fewer last minute rushes where I realise I need to buy a limber for a game or something like that.
- Improve my scenery for more periods. My WW2 Normandy scenery is pretty good now, although slightly lacking on the building front, while some of my other time periods/places aren't doing as well. I need to finish my desert terrain and have another go at modelling the jungle.
- I definitely need to spread my gaming out a bit, this year I had a lot of hobby gluts then fallow periods. It would be much better to game every other week fairly routinely than play 3 or 4 games in a couple of weeks, then do nothing for a month. Its just the way it worked out this year but I'm sure I can do better.
- Focus my gaming. Going to try and focus on desert warfare for the first few months of the year then Normandy in the last few. But happy for a few other games in be mixed in. Going to be hard to score this one.
- Play more 15mm - 6x 15mm games in 12 months can't be unreasonable?
- 2:1 painting/buying ratio - a return for this aim.
- 12x photogenic games - I quite enjoyed this aim in 2022.
- No new projects bought at all. This one feels like the sort of aim I will accidentally break in the first 2 weeks of the year but we'll see how it goes. Also I have bought a few projects for 2023, so I'm probably already cheating in the spirit of this aim.
- Play more scenarios - Go into a game with a set scenario and limit the amount of games that are just line up and kill them all's.