Monday 15 February 2021

The 15mm Bug

    As I've said before, my available hobby time is a bit more sporadic at the moment and I've ended up with periods of time where Edward is fussing and I'm left with time to think instead of getting on with painting. One of the outcomes of this and the ACW project from my last few posts is that I am really intrigued by 15mm.

   When Games Workshop released 9th edition 40k one of their posts on the community page (which was repeated on their podcast) was that they have noticed that most players don't have access to a 6 by 4 foot table. I want to say they claimed 60% of players had access to one, but only 30 odd % owned one*, so the majority of games were actually being played on smaller boards. 

*My stats are probably wrong as I'm going off memory

but I think they prove where I'm going with this.

   This got me thinking about my gaming. I've not been to Wayland Games for very nearly a year now as they haven't yet reopened their gaming centre after the first lockdown, so the only 6 by 4 board I have access to is at my mate Neil's house. Then with Ed being around, it makes more sense to do as much gaming at home as I can, even when Waylands is open again, so that I don't just leave my wife with the kid every time I want a game. So, does 15mm make more sense?

   I bought into the first Forged In Battle 15mm kickstarter as it was being talked about a lot on the Meeples and Miniatures podcast about the same time they were waxing lyrical about Sword & Spear - it was also the reason I failed my paint more than I buy target for 2015 with a late purchase of a couple of hundred figures** - but every time I get a pack out to have a look, I decide it's probably beyond me and put them away. With all my thinking, I thought this was the perfect time to try to paint a unit and see how it goes, then one thing led to another and I had two finished units before I knew it.

**Literally the last thing I bought in 2015 was 216 15mm figures. . .

   So, here is the first units of Middle Imperial Romans from Forged In Battle Miniatures, based on an 80 by 40mm bases.


One of the things I'm really enjoying about element bases of 15mm troops is not having straight lines of troops, my second base shows it a bit better than this base does.


As ever, my photography of 15mm is terrible, but they will look much better as army shots later on.

Thanks for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment