Tuesday 3 May 2022

Napoleonic Cuirassiers but smaller?

    One key unit I wanted to test was a unit of French Napoleonic cavalry, and this was for two reasons; 1. It would give a unit of cavalry per side for a test game. 2. I wanted to see if using the new Warlord Epic scale figures would look too jarring in scale to the rest of my regular 15mm stuff. 

   Expanding on the second point, I had already bought the 15mm Essex Miniatures British cavalry so I didn't want to add to those units or mix different figures near them, but what about the other side? I've been given 3 or 4 sprues of the Epic scale French cavalry that came free with Wargames Illustrated as my mates were never going to use them, along with some infantry sprues and I think one British sprue. While I don't have any immediate plans for them - although they might be good for other games, so nothing is getting thrown out - I wanted to see if as a stand alone unit, the cavalry might work.

   I decided to only paint up a single unit of French Cuirassiers so that time sunk into the project is as limited as possible, but that I should still end up with a useful unit if the idea does work.


15mm Essex miniatures vs warlord epic scale

   Compared to regular 15mm figures I suspect that the difference in scale would end up being jarring if seen next too each other too often, so while I suspect they will get replaced, I do still have a unit that can work in games, but I'd appreciate some feedback as I'm torn.

Thanks for reading

3 comments: