Sunday 6 November 2022

A Lowland Bash

   Upon finishing the highlander elements of my Culloden themed army, I am pretty sure I admitted to having bought more infantry for the project but that I wasn't going to work on any of it. Well that turned out to be a lie. When the lowlander musketeers turned up from Front Rank/Gripping Beast I built and sprayed them within 24 hours and put them onto the to do shelf as part of the immediate painting queue.

   Historically, I believe these units should be much more of a militia than a raised unit and thus shouldn't have a uniform jacket, but the thought of painting different jackets, trousers and tartan sashes filled me with dread, so I went for a uniform for the jacket and mixed everything else up*. I've not gone for a banner in either unit to show they are more ad hoc than other units that will be coming. The tartan is mostly earthy colours as I want to show these guys don't wear tartans on a regular basis and have probably bought cheap cloth just to show allegiance, but there are a few of the more modern brighter tartans mixed in for variety.

*if I do another unit in the future I'll do a different jacket colour and mix them in

   Figure wise the bulk of the units are made of the 3 lowlander sculpts in the Front Rank back catalogue but once you get to the point you are ordering 8 of each of 3 figures for only 2 units even my lack of worry about variety started to get nervous. To remedy this I added a highlander officer, a single guy in a kilt and 3 government deserters. This bought the other sculpts down to a mere 6 each. . .


I'm now fairly close to finishing this project, so do I focus on more important stuff or just carry on?

Thanks for reading

2 comments: