Saturday 12 August 2023

Bigger Bugs Pt 7

  I've done a few posts in this series where I've been unsure on which title to give the post - bigger bug or swarm - but this one definitely fits into this title as in previous editions it was a super heavy monster.


   The Scythed Heirodule is a model that has been in the Forge World catalogue for as long as I can remember and that I have always coveted, but I've never had an army for one to go into. With a big freeze on our disposable income coming up fast, I decided to do one last splurge and bought this*.

*instead of arguably more useful things and/or figures

   As I have already mentioned, I have wanted one of these for as long as I can remember, but when it came to actually buying it, I was torn between the two different weapon versions, on paper the Barbed one (with guns) seems so much better and I've been stung in the past picking a big Forge world model based on the one I think is cooler than the one that is actually better**, but reading the reviews online, it seemed to be the scythed one that people suggested buying. While technically the barbed one is better point for point, it's doing a job other units in the army already do, while the scythed brings something unique to the table. We shall see if that is true.

**looking at you Heresy era Cerberus 

   Not much else to say about this model, the painting was exactly the same as everything else, except that I did give the skin and carapace one extra light highlight. The building of this model was, however, horrible, three contact points that need to be done at the same time holding up a big chunk of resin, with all three points at an angle meant all sorts of supports were needed to keep the thing vaguely in the right place, and there was still filler needed afterwards.

scythed hierodule forge world tyranid super heavy

   Really pleased with the end result*** and looking forward to being utterly disappointed by its performance when it gets onto the table - I might have to lend my opponent a Knight . . .

***which has my regular opponent seriously nervous

Thanks for reading

2 comments:

  1. Painting wise I love it. I always liked this sculpt, though never had a reason to get one. Construction-wise - SO MANY FW models are like that! When put together they are the best looking scifi/fantasy minis out there hands-down, but damn(!!), could the design studio please tell their artists to take a course to design their construction better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many FW models that are just not worth buying s you won't ever build them. For a premium product, they aren't really up to scratch.
      Saying that, when you finish them they are properly nice.

      Delete