Friday, 5 January 2018

First models of the year

   As my last post was me planning my hobby year out loud, it only made sense to try and follow it up with an actual hobby post as soon as humanly possible, which I have just about done. As I, also, said in my last post, the chances of me staying focused are next to 0 but as long as I go in the correct direction, the meanderings can just be called flavour.
   Bearing that in mind, my hobby over the new year weekend and the first days has been, mostly, on target. I have started my Sons of Horus 30k project with aims to get my first games in at the end of February and be playing properly in the months afterwards - this is going to be a big project if I see it to completion so I want to get it started asap.

   The first models of this project to see the painting table are the members of the first tactical squad, all 15 of them. When it comes to motivation it is the big squads that are where it is easiest to falter, sitting down on an evening and seeing a 5 man squad that needs doing is something you can usually get yourself to start, but a massive block of infantry leaves you doing anything but paint. So I always try to start my new projects with them to try and get them out of the way, but I actually paint them in blocks of 5, aiming to finish each 5 either in a single evening or over a couple of evenings. Then rewarding myself with a more interesting choice after each unit is finished. The results are then that the bulk of your infantry is done while you are still motivated, so when you are suffering from a lack of enthusiasm you only have small bits lefts to do, or at least that is the plan.
   As these are Sons of Horus, I have tried to include more than just legion badges and the colour scheme to make them feel like the legion in question, in this case it is a couple of top knots mixed into the unit in the style of the legion leadership - see Horus or Abbadon for examples. These are either bare heads with top knots taken from the chaos marines sprue and either used as is, or cut and stuck to the 30k helmets.

   On the other hand, because I am incapable of sticking to a plan, I found myself painting some more Vikings on new year's eve. I only have a handful of Vikings left to paint and, while they aren't on my list of projects for this year, it seems daft to ignore them, so every time I have an interesting colour scheme I want to try out, I will do another couple of them. In this case the interesting colour scheme was a Sons of Horus style green (purposely not the exact same) and orange.
   The models are a mix of Gripping Beast and Shieldwall Miniatures, like the rest of the project.

Thanks for reading.


  1. Awesome job on the Son's of Horus. I must admit the HH books are brilliant. Nice work on the Vikings variety keeps you motivated to complete figures.

    1. Thanks Simon. I'm going to do a proper post about the 30k project when I am further into it, but the book series has been so good my issue has been struggling to pick, not whether I should!