Monday 3 June 2019

Went and caught the Ancient Greek



   Unless you have been hiding under a rock in the last couple of months, there has been a renewed interest for Ancient Greek wargaming at the sec, with last month seeing the release of two rulesets in the form of Men of Bronze and Mortal Gods. As I have already said I want to be a lot stricter on the new skirmish games I get into – preferring rulesets that are just a book and your own figures, than sets that rely on buying specific models, unit cards and tokens – I was purposely ignoring Mortal Gods, but Men of Bronze (sharing similarities to my beloved Rampant system) set ideas off in my head. Then I found out that my wife had booked a long weekend for us in Athens and a plan started to come together for an Athenian army. . .

 



   I can safely say that I have bought more Victrix* models than I’ll need for a single game**, but I firmly believe under buying is much worse than over buying. I had initially planned to paint this army in the same way as my other non-uniformed historical collections in a batches of cross unit models, but when my unarmoured units arrived, I realised how little they shared with the armoured models, so I am going to paint batches of armoured or mixed unarmoured instead.
   The armoured box of Athenians turned up first, so this was what I started with. They are built as they come out of the pack, except I have swapped their plastic spears for wire spears, simply because I broke one of the spears before I even finished spraying them (oaf) and I really like wire spears. Shield designs are a mix of Little Big Man Studios and Warlord games to give variety.
 
*and other
**Although, I plan to use the figures for multiple systems


   My next unit is almost finished too, so I should be posting again fairly soon.

Thanks for reading

2 comments: