Thursday 1 August 2019

Mobility is the Key

  The next few posts are all going to start the same way, 'the next thing that Jay's game inspired me to do was' and this one is no exception. So, for the second post of this particular trip down the rabbit hole I want to focus on the next unit of Union Cavalry. I already have 2 units finished, although only 1 has made it to the table so far, but seeing the long line of horses really got me thinking.
   I have a real mental block when it comes to cavalry, which is why I rarely have them in my armies even though they really suit my play style, however, the last box of Perry cavalry I painted really bought it home that it is a stupid block to have, instead of seeing a unit of 6 horsemen as a single complicated batch, you have to treat them as 2 batches of 6 models, that just happen to end up being combined*. In the end, I actually painted the horses in smaller batches than that, in batches of 4-5 along with a horse or two from the limber team to cut my time, so as I write this, the horses for my next unit are already finished and just waiting on their riders.

*Which has opened the doors in my head to all the cavalry
sitting in my to do pile for other armies**
**I might do a cavalry month at some point soon


 
Thanks for reading

8 comments:

  1. Oh you are already in so deep! Great job Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. Yeah, I've gone off the deep end here.

      Delete
  2. Great stuff Mike! Yeah, Jay's blog is an incredible source for inspiration and crushing bank accounts 🙂

    ReplyDelete