Tuesday 30 July 2019

The ACW Rabbit Hole

   The next series of posts are going to be a detour that I hadn't planned on a project I thought was basically finished . . .

   This sordid story starts a couple of Mondays ago when I was quietly minding my own business and spending some time catching up on blog posts when I came across Jay's Wargaming Madness and his newest post an ACW farm defence. This was followed by a conversation with my mate, Neil, which really sent me off the deep end as he offered me a pile of figures for free, which itself, lead to me placing a top up order with the Perry twins.

 
   Amongst the many things that the game inspired me to do was to finish my cannons properly. Initially, I had built and painted my cannons and crew to get them on the table for a game, leaving the limbers on their sprues as a job for later, but as is so often the case, there is always a new shiny to focus on rather than doing limbers for units you are already using in games. Once I had decided to get om with them, building and painting turned out to be a fairly straight forward job * and they will make my games look a fair bit better straight away. As cannons are a fair bit over powered for their cost** in Rebels and Patriots we are unlikely to run more than a single one per side, so to keep costs down, I only bought a single horse team (I'll probably get more another day) which was then built to go in my Union forces too. In my head the two sides are starting to looking like a defensive Confederate army and an aggressive Union army, so my battlefield extras will start to show that theme.

*that I should have done at the same time as the cannons really
**or is it under pointed?
 
   I'm painting up horses for the limber team at the same time as I paint horses for the next units of Union Cavalry to try and get a mix of different horse types in, while hopefully not just going mad and having one of everything, but I had to try an American paint horse.
 
 
   I'm quite pleased with the resulting cannon and full crew and am really looking forward to getting them on the table.
 
 

Thanks for reading

5 comments:

  1. Oh Mike, these are wonderful but it looks as if you could be building quite a force! Thank you also for the link to Jay's blog - not sure how I have missed his work, really great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On your head be it. That's a dangerous post.

      Delete
  2. Jay's Farm Defence post is bookmarked on my laptop as a reference for inspiration as well. I am not eleven regiments of Union down this rabbit hole and just starting on cavalry.

    ReplyDelete