Sunday 20 September 2020

Hadrian's Wall, Vindolanda and the Roman Army Museum - the dangerous day out

   This is the last holiday blog post, which has purposely been left back until I had something painted to add to the bottom of it.

   Mid way through out trip we had tickets booked for Vindolanda and the Roman Army Museum, While I definitely recommend a trip to Vindolanda, it was the Roman Army museum that was the really dangerous part of the day. The museum is more of a kids interactive job than in depth analyse of how the army worked, but the uniforms and videos going on everywhere do help to immerse you.

   Then the rest of the day we visited bits of Hadrian's Wall, a small mile fort and Housesteads fort before settling down at Twice Brewed (a micro brewery/pub that serves roman named beers*) and before I knew it, I had a Early Imperial Roman army on order with Warlord Games** and then within the week or so, I'd ordered an Ancient British army as an opponent for it.

*Very much recommended

**Full confession this is the 3rd Roman army I have in my stock pile***

***I have no regrets








   With a bit of painting mojo having returned ****, I got stuck right into my first few units for my planned Boudiccan revolt period armies. All figures are from Warlord Game's range and I plan to use Lion Rampant but with the Rule Britannia modifications from Natholeon's empires as he allows for slightly bigger barbarian units.

****and a distressing amount of Osprey's ordered



As I have a lot more painting to do and a lot more confessions to build up to in the future, that's it for now.

Thanks for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment