Saturday 9 March 2019

Painting the other side

   After going to the Warhammer 30k event last weekend, I am fairly motivated to get on with more of that project again, however, I don’t want to just forget about this one and just move on, like I have done to so many other nearly finished projects, so I have made sure I spent the week getting more infantry built and painted before I get carried away at the weekend.
   Whether it is a good idea or not, I decided to get the Confederates started. I had been doing my research on their uniforms and had some ideas I wanted to get done. Unlike the Union side of the ACW project, the Confederates are going to be painted up looking far more rag tag as they were having far more supply problems. This means instead of picking up half a unit at a time (6 figures) and painting them over the course of an evening or so, I am building and painting a more fluid number from across the units to try to avoid it looking like a uniform. I have a list of jacket and trouser combinations that I will work my way through picking a slightly different number of figures for each.
   My first big group is from 4 of these options – sticking with grey jackets early on just so the majority of my troops wear them in the end. There are grey jackets with brown trousers, with butterscotch trousers and a pair with either sky blue trousers or home spun red ones. My next couple of batches will be far more varied, so I can see how they start to look mixed in, then I can adjust the last few men to make the units look ‘right’.



Thanks for reading

4 comments: