Wednesday 17 March 2021

A Walled Village

    My mate Neil always says that ideas are dangerous and should be stamped down, but I had an idea that I left to grow - sorry Neil. A few years back when I was playing a lot of Lord Of The Rings the guy I played against and me starting chatting about creating some scenery for the scenarios that needed something to work a bit better. For example there is a scenario that I am sure was called King of the Hill, where you measured out a 2 foot circle, which was the hill, and you got victory points for having the most models within the circle at the end of the game. So I asked my dad to cut me a circle of mdf about 2 foot wide and I got as far as drawing on it what I was going to build before I put it down to carry on working on another day.

   Fast forward to November and I had an idea for a walled village for my Ancient Britons - a defensive wall rather than defendable wall, which was an important difference in my head. This isn't a fort, its a walled village. I decided it would be a nice project I could get on with once my son was born, but in the end I got carried away with it before that could happen, but as I needed to clear some space to get a photo of the model, it didn't make it onto this blog.


   The basic structure is pink foam on an MDF circle, covered in plaster and painted. The walls are made from wooden cuticle sticks snipped to slightly different lengths. The fences are Renedra and the buildings are Hovels.
    While the end result is historically suspect at best, I wanted something big to put on the board as the project it goes with was getting out of hand. I just need to get some games in with it now.





   Lastly, and very much tacked onto the end is a quick stone circle. Not a huge amount to say about this, other than the stones are from an Arcane Miniatures order I made a few years back, on an MDF base.

Thanks for reading

8 comments:

  1. Wonderful village, evocative very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great. Brill job on the whole village.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks brilliant Mike! I honestly thought that was the Wizkids walled village when I first saw the photo and not a scratch build.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ivor. I'm pleased with it. No idea how I plan to store or transport it, though

      Delete
  4. Very impressive terrain work, Mike!

    ReplyDelete