Tuesday 11 January 2022

Is It Autumn Again?

   I won't lie, this wasn't a planned army. I mentioned in the 15mm werewolves post that I like the idea of element bases of hordes that can just be added to any army, so when Alternative Armies sent me 4 giant spiders as a free gift when I bought a few bits in their sale, I test fitted them onto a base and liked what I saw.


   So early one sleepless morning sitting in a chair with a baby that wasn't sleeping in his cot, I was doom scrolling on social media when I saw Alternative Armies also did bigger spiders and it dawned on me that a spider army could be a cool idea. A little order later, including more free spiders and I was swimming in the 8 legged monsters.

   Its barely half way through the first month of the year and I'm already breaking my 2 projects at any one point rule, but in my (weak) defence, this army was taking up a lot of space on the shelf behind me and it's an easy first finished project for the year.

   I plan to use Dragon Rampant with the following stats; the smaller spiders will use lesser warbeasts with the venomous rule, medium spiders will use greater warbeasts also with venomous and the big beastie will also use the greater warbeast stats with venomous and cunning to give it a bit of a kick. Its an expensive army in points, but it should do some serious damage.




   When the big spider arrived I was slightly unhappy to have received one of the bodies with open sores on the side (its a lucky dip of 3 different bodies) so I had to rethink my plan. I didn't want it to look wounded as it would be out of character compared to the rest of the 'army'. In the end I decided as the brood mother that the open sores would be a massive sack of eggs erupting out (well aware that this isn't how spiders normally do it) to try and make her threat look even worse.

Thanks for reading

1 comment:

  1. I love how you end up with the strangest armies Mike, great story and great results. How did you achieve the web like effect on the giant spider? Is it just paint? Looks so good.

    ReplyDelete