Thursday 6 July 2023

A Big Push - ACW Edition

   I mentioned in a post at the start of March that I was organising a big club game for the summer to try and get the whole club in one place playing one big game - hopefully with every player suppling a unit or two but not leaving out those unable to - well that game has now been and gone and I was much further behind than I had planned.

   I wasn't too stressed going in whether both sides were perfectly even, but I wanted to at least have enough troops to bulk out one side if it turned out to be seriously uneven. With that in mind I set off trying to build and paint the last few bits I had for this project, although I ultimately had to make choices as the deadline hit quicker than expected.

I got one more regular unit of Confederate infantry done. I went for a fully grey uniform on these guy only varying a couple of trousers and the blankets over the bodies just to get them across my desk as quickly as possible.

Then I put a couple of days into painting two units of Confederate cavalry. These were nowhere near as quick but were one of the big gaps in my Confederate army, so they needed to be done. I left the horse holders and dismounts for another day but I'm pleased these got finished as they were used.

On the day I had 6 and a bit players turn up with half of them supplying troops of their own - although as the photo shows Wayland Games didn't give me any mats so we had to scrounge two green mats from elsewhere in the hall and hope it wasn't too obvious. I think on hindsight I gave the Union a slight troop advantage but the game was so very close until the last turn that I don't think it mattered.
The game ended with the Confederates holding one farm house, the Union held the crossroads and the last farm house was contested until the Confederate advance crumbled, leaving a Union victory.

It was really good playing with guys I just don't play with enough, seeing a big game on the table and we also had a first time wargamer roll some dice, which is always a bonus.
I think the plan is to do a WW2 version of this game next year!

Thanks for reading


No comments:

Post a Comment