Wednesday 5 February 2020

Highland Laddie

   As I am famously a hobbyist who cannot keep to a single project for long, it's about time to witness yet another project shift - this time to my old nemesis, Napoleonics. I've been chatting to my mate Neil since late 2019 about using the Rebels & Patriots ruleset as a simpler way to field my Napoleonics, I really enjoy Sharp Practise but it's a bit of faff to get to the table compared to a game like R&P. While I need to bulk units up - see my next post - it should make for a quicker and easier evening game, which means I can save SP for weekend games.
    Why Highlanders, I hear you ask? So, I was in Edinburgh on holiday and was really enjoying the culture and constant bagpipers (the joy of a tourist trap), when I found myself placing an order for a couple of Sharp Practise sized units of Highlanders. It's easily done.
   However, when I finally did some research I realised that there wouldn't actually have been many kilted troops in the peninsula. Of the few regiments that were there I picked the 79th Cameron for no real reason than they weren't the Black Watch that always seem to be the go to tartan of choice.
   Again, and you are probably tired of hearing this, these were another unit that has sat in my lead pile for a good couple of years while I waited for the market to supply me with tartan paint, however, deadlines put paid to that theory and I had to go the old fashioned route.



   While I'm tempted to pick up a third unit at some point - it should probably be fairly soon to make sure they match the other units - two feels enough for the moment, it's not like my backlog is clearing itself.


Thanks for reading

7 comments:

  1. A man after my own heart, why have one project on the go when there is so many to choose from? Great job on the Highlanders, always a challenge to tackle the tartan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Multiple projects is the only way forward

      Delete