Tuesday 30 May 2023

Another Guy's Sisters?

   As part of the build up to the campaign I was chatting to probably my most regular gaming opponent - a guy who sees gaming as a reason to get out of the house and have some company more than a gamer per se*, so who uses my other side in every game** - and he was saying it was time he bought his own army and this might be the excuse. So on the train to Salute we were chatting over options and he decided to buy into Sisters of Battle.

*I don't think I'm being unfair there

**if I post a photo of a game where both sides are my figures, 80% of the time, he's on the other side

   The one thing he made clear in this discussion was that he was very unlikely to paint his own figures, lack of time and perceived lack of skill meant that he had no interest at all, so he was looking at various options online to buy painted figures. In the end I offered to do the painting as long as he accepted my caveats;

1. It would be to my paint quality - I'm not an 'eavy metal painter and I'm not going to try to be

2. I'm not going to spend weeks just painting his stuff - it will fit around my things, but I would try and make sure he wasn't ignored

3. I wanted colour schemes and any load outs ahead of time as I didn't want to be chasing mid project.


   As a project it's turned out to be quite fun, these are the first few batches I've been painting for him - the focus has been on two fronts;

1. Get a Kill Team painted up to start our campaign

2. Make sure I've got him a minimum 40k army painted so we can jump straight into 10th edition.


   He decided on a colour scheme early on - I won't lie, I did talk him out of a potential white armour colour scheme - which was a homage to his army when he first played 40k back in 2rnd edition, the Dark Angels. I painted up a test figure for him to check I was happy with painting them and that he liked the colour scheme, the red lining was a fairly late addition as we both felt it just needed something else.

The first battle sisters squad and test cases

Redemptia - minus the superior who I forgot to photograph before I handed it back

Arch-Flagellants - poor sods

Rhino transport

Second squad of battle sisters

Seraphim

Canoness

   He's bought himself (from various sources) the equivalent of a couple of combat patrols (one minus the rhino) and a unit of Paragon suits, so while I've broken the back of this project and achieved my initial aims, I still have a fair bit to go.

   The only thing I did notice when I was finishing the last batch of these off was how we've used the same colour palette for both our armies - green, bone and red - thankfully different greens and reds.

Thanks for reading


No comments:

Post a Comment