Tuesday 28 June 2022

A Busy Week For Games

   I'm not massively in the habit of posting game photos on here and I'm not really sure why - I've made sure I have at least one photo of every game that I plan to put on my end of year post, but that leaves some photos that I'm really pleased with that just go into the photo bank. Last week I managed to play some games with new armies and I'm pleased with how the boards ended up looking.

   The first game was my Winter Germans vs my brother's US using the Bolt Action rules. I've been working on adding some scenic bits to my 28mm western Europe scenery collection, which was mostly just telephone poles and teddy bear fur fields, but I think they make a difference, although with a new mat that is much more toned down than the dark green that Wayland Games always put out for us.





   The photos are in no particular order but the end result was a US victory, the preliminary bombardment hurt me much more than my brother and it took me about 3 turns to get all my troops moving at which point I was already in a bad place. The only big upside was that I took out his tank in the first turn or so and that left my little Marder 3 to just roll around the board causing a nuisance of itself.

   The second game we swapped sides of the war and I got my new US out, while my brother used his Germans - not winter this time!






   The second game was a essentially a rerun of the 1st game, the US infantry outclassed the German infantry for the bulk of the game but the second turn death of my Sherman and my 57mm AT gun being unable to do much more than scratch the Panther's paint work meant that the German big cat just spent the game picking units to take off the board - I have never been so happy to have a farm on the board as I was in this game. It ended up as a draw on objectives but it was a pyric draw for the US.

   On the Wednesday club night I also ran a Napoleonics game for a few of the members, with myself and Neil umpiring. Mostly I just wanted to get my 15mm Napoleonics onto the table and test my ideas out.
   We played a version of Quatre Bras with the Nassau (and some allied troops) holding a fork in the road to slow down the French advance. Rebels and Patriots is a brilliant ruleset for Napoleonics in smaller figure count games but in 15mm with blocks of infantry, it does have limitations - the French column for example stalled badly the moment one unit failed a move test, but all in all it ran pretty smoothly and it looked impressive on the night.






   The Allies held the field in the end, but with a few more turns the French would have overrun the fork in the road, there were just so many French units that didn't make it anywhere near the Nassau. The game has given me a bit of a boost to look back at getting troops done for this game, at the very least another cannon or two per side, more cavalry and some baggage?
   Watching the French Cuirassiers go through a unit of infantry like it was melted butter was a definite highlight of the game. While I didn't get to roll any dice on this one, its really nice seeing people having fun with something you've done and as two of the players were new to the hobby, seeing them grasp the rules and getting on with a game was excellent.

Thanks for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment