Tuesday 6 June 2023

Omaha Beach

   With today marking 79 years since D-Day, I thought it would be a good time to put some posts up from my recent visit to Normandy. As with my other battlefield posts, I'm not going to go into depth on the battle or anything like that, as I just don't see the point when others have done such a better job than I would.


   This is Omaha beach - or bloody Omaha - the beach seen in Saving Private Ryan fame and was one of the two American beaches. We visited a beach from each major nation that took part and of all of them, this was the weirdest, being a mix of monument to what happened and really touristy sandy beach. Sitting on a beach building a sandcastle with my son, eating lollies, with WW2 tours going past and on a site where such a bloody battle happened is a surreal experience.


 Thanks for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment